It's Week 3 of the One Room Challenge - that means we're already halfway! (If you're new here, the ORC is to makeover a room in just six weeks.) And what an eventful week it has been. On the one hand, it's been great to start making some visible progress at last. But we also encountered a significant setback that leaves the entire project in serious jeopardy.
Let's start with the positive ...
Having reinforced the sub-floor, Hubby added another layer of plywood on top - since the hardwood floor in the bedroom is thicker than the floor tile we chose for the ensuite, adding the plywood in the ensuite raised the floor so that it would be almost level with the bedroom floor.
We had already treated the bare plaster with a mist coat, so now it was time to apply the final coat of paint. For the walls, I used some leftover Dulux Bathroom Paint in Iced White. I ended up painting the ceiling and upper part of the walls twice: after applying a few brush strokes of the first paint, I thought the colour was too intense, so the second time I went with Inky Pool 6, also by Dulux. This colour is actually not currently offered by Dulux, but I knew of it because we had already used it in the kitchen and the paint shop still had the codes on file so that we could have it custom-mixed.
The colour transition is just roughed-in for now, but I'll tidy that up later.
For the shower enclosure, we had chosen plain white square ceramic tiles so that the white colour would continue unbroken around the room.
We started by adding a baton to create a level line, and adding the trim to the outer edges. Then, gradually, we tiled our way up along the wall above the shower tray.
I had been undecided whether to use black or white grout on the wall tiles - black to match the floor tiles, or white to match the walls. Having seen some of the wall tiles in situ, I ruled out the black and decided that it would be best to use white grout. But that would come a little later ... first we wanted to make a start on the floor tiles.
The floor tiles are the main feature in this room, and starting to install them felt like we had reached an important milestone.
But, ugh! Our sense of achievement was short-lived.
The following day after this photo was taken, Hubby was lying on the floor undercutting the door jamb to enable us to slide the floor tiles underneath. As he worked, he felt the floor move beneath him. Yes, you read that right. He stood up and turned around to see that the floor tile he had been lying on had come loose. In disbelief, he checked the surrounding tiles, only to find that they too were lifting off. When he thought back, he remembered that the adhesive he had bought was the last one on the shelf, and came to the conclusion that it had obviously expired.
Note to self: never buy perishable supplies from stores where the turnover of those supplies is likely to be low.
It was always going to be challenging to meet the six-week deadline for this room (five really, given that the sixth week is when I should be doing the final reveal). Now we're really up against it. The floor tiles will have to be removed and we're just crossing our fingers that we can salvage them as, otherwise, we won't have enough tiles to finish the job at all.
It's going to be an "interesting" week ahead ... wish us luck! (We'll need it.)